Drake Island, in Plymouth harbor, was named for Sir Francis Drake, who left here in 1577 to circumnavigate the world.  It is but a rock sticking up in the mouth of the harbor, but makes a great place for a fort, and has been fortified since Drake's time, but lies idle now.  Big 12 inch Woolwich guns litter the center of the fort, installed after 1860, and buried around 1900 when later quick firing guns were put in.  They're dug up now,  the island and the fortifications are silent, but there are plans for a luxury hotel and helipad, which is about all that would fit on this small rock.  The biggest excitement this small piece of land has had was in 2005, when anti-nuclear protesters took over the island.

Drake's Island

Drake Island's guns